Sunday, November 19, 2006

Pardon me I just had a taxable event

Call me crazy, but I recently made an offer on a home in the San Francisco Bay Area. And yes I read the headlines and know there is a decline in the housing market. If you have read my earlier post you know that I am fond of the housing bubble logic presented at patrick.net. The house I made an offer on has been on the market for 6 months. The asking price has dropped $70K over those six months. While I think markets like Las Vegas and Reno will continue to drop in value, I am obviously less confident about bay area prices falling any further. So I made the leap of faith and sold some of my stocks to come up with the down payment. The selling of my stocks is a taxable event. I had to decided which stocks to sell. I basically broke my choices into two categories.
- Losers that I have held for less than a year
- Winners that I have held for more than a year.
Why?
If you've held a stock for at least one year, you're eligible for long-term capital-gains rates. Long-term capital gains are taxed at the 20% rate for most folks, while short-term gains--or gains made on stocks held for less than one year--are taxed at ordinary income tax rates, which range from 15% to 39.6%. In my case I am in the 33% tax bracket. So by selling the winners I have held for a year or more I am saving about 13% in taxes compared to selling winners I have held for less than a year. "begin sidebar" see the potential tax draw backs of day-trading? "end sidebar" I decided to sell the losers I have held for less than a year so that I can claim the losses on this years taxes to help offset some of the gains. If my offer is accepted on the home, I will not enjoy the mortgage interest deduction until I do my 2006 taxes.

No comments: